Isaiah 51:11 - "And the redeemed of the LORD will return and come to Zion with singing, crowned with unending joy. Joy and gladness will overtake them, forever free from sorrow and grief."
Isaiah 53:4 - "Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted."
Isaiah 53 says Jesus bore our griefs and carried our sorrows. If Jesus was required to bear sorrow and defeat it on the cross then it must be satanic. It must be designed to steal, kill, and destroy. The Hebrew words translated griefs and sorrows can be translated sickness and weakness and pain. Grief and sorrow come from the same source as sickness, weakness and pain -- death. Grief and sorrow are death's ever-present, shadowing companions. that in itself lets us know they are not to be tolerated at any time.
GRIEF AND SORROW CHOKE THE WORD
Mark 4:19 - "...the lusts of other things entering in..."
One of the most dangerous aspects of grief and sorrow is their ability to choke the Word and cause it to be unfruitful in our lives. When we face painful situations, it's easy to begin to lust after that rush of sorrowful emotion, to let it flood our soul taking our will and mind. In a way, we actually enjoy all the attention, sympathy, and such that goes along within. Grief and sorrow begin their real work when we are by ourselves and the unbearable loneliness and sadness crush in upon us. The misery of it goes on and on -- to no good end.
POWER AND AUTHORITY STEPS OVER GRIEF AND SORROW:
1. Remember that Jesus defeated sorrow and bore it for you. It no longer has any real power over you, so all of its strength is coming from what you give it.
2. Use the power of the Word. The Word says don't sorrow! Whenever the Word tells you not to do something it also provides, you the power you need to obey it.
1 Thessalonians 4:13 - ".. you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope."
3. Don't be fooled by your flesh. At the first sign of depression, loneliness, tears or self-pity, stand up with the Word and fight back. Affirm the Word aloud:
I sorrow not. I'm not a person without hope. I belong to Jesus and He has defeated grief and sorrow for me.
4. Always see grief and sorrow as spirit beings -- not just emotions. They are personalities that want to take over your emotions and then take over your life. Stand up and fight them. You belong to Jesus, not to those two thieves.
5. Begin to minister to others. Help others with their spiritual walk with Christ. Learn how to disciple your fellow believer into the higher life in Christ that the scriptures promise. If you don't know how to do this, seek out a mentor to teach and guide you.
ALBERT FINCH MINISTRY